My Journey with Learn IT Girl


On March 8th 2019, I received a mail regarding my selection as the Learn IT Girl Scholar. I got to know about this program from my peers and so applied for it. It was good to know I had been selected and that I would be working on a big project while also learning new stuff. My mentor for this program was Anishka, who was also a student like me from a well-known NIT. She had been an amazing person to interact with and always guided me with the most appropriate solutions to my problems.

When I started working with her on the project idea I was in doubt as to how much I would be able to achieve, but then she guided me step by step in this process. She would assign me weekly tasks and I was so keen to work on this project that most of the tasks were completed much before the deadline. All this sparked encouragement inside me. I spent the first two weeks learning about Open source tools like Git and Github and practising video tutorials from Youtube. I also then worked upon a mini project- NoteKeep which is similar to classic notepad application and I must admit that it was simpler than it seemed at first. After the first three weeks ended I started working on the real project- Foster. The project is about creating a platform for practical learning for kids and beginners who wish to learn while playing. It creates adaptive animation visuals for various user cases of different coding algorithms and performs a step by step animation through the developed algorithm. It can be used to select from a variety of available algorithms and understand how they work for any user input. Besides the user get to control various parameters like providing either custom or random input, speed of the animation. Thus, for the next nine weeks, I worked upon it. The first week was more focused on developing the layout and deciding the functionality of the project while others focus on coding and UI development.

There were ups and downs and I was sometimes struck with a bug for weeks which seemed unsolvable but yet constant lookout for solutions struck them out. Of this entire journey, an important thing I learned was it is not difficult to learn new things but rather we don’t find the courage to do so. Many of us are stuck with “Will I be able to do it?” or “I am not good enough for this.” We think that we won’t be able to do it and hence give up trying but rather it is the moment that we should seize. It also gave me the encouragement to learn much more than I would have. In all, it was an amazing opportunity to work with my mentor and Learn IT Girl and learn new things.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Scholarship on the List

Earning your next Internship

Women Who Code Delhi Mentorship Program: Week 1